Thursday, November 11, 2010

foam-it-up

Do you ever feel like people would laugh if they could watch you when you are all alone? I know people would laugh at me. For one example: i tend to run into things. A LOT. Seriously, corners are hazardous. I just feel like i need to take the shortest route possible and usually don't quite make it around that edge poking out. Whenever i go to my massage therapist she finds a new bruise i don't remember getting. My work is particularly hazardous because my desk has a corner that sticks out above my waist and bruises on the ribs are more painful.
Another thing i think people would find funny is my use of the rolling pin. I must thank whoever gave us our rolling pin for our wedding. Although i have never ever used it for anything food related (lets face it, i'm not a baker) i use it on a regular basis to massage knots out of my thighs and calves. This usually takes place in the wee hours of the morning when i can't sleep and am sitting on the floor in my kitchen so i don't wake Cisco up. It must look funny as i am trying to get the rolling pin to work out certain areas and it is not always so easy. It is also not the softest thing and i have been known to wake up with bruises on my shins for pushing just a little too hard on that one knot. 
The bright side? I may not have to use my rolling pin any longer! I will be purchasing a Foam Roller which is basically just a dense foam log that you roll your muscles on to work out knots all that fun stuff. If you are still confused you can just google foam rolling and there are 100s of articles about how it is used in every athletic training facility, etc. etc. I decided to get one after my teacher has told us all about how much he loves them and recommends them and after my massage therapist says she uses one and thinks it would really help me in between my massages. I also have met several people who own them and love them so that is my decision. I am excited to get mine and hopefully i will be able to eliminate some of the hassle of using a rolling pin. 

 rough spot: I am missing a lot of classes due to not feeling so great and am WAY behind on my homework.
on the bright side: I am still learning in my classes! like about ways to help myself and others feel better. I really do love my major (Exercise & Wellness)

1 comment: